Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Free Motion Quilting Density

Today we're going to talk about density...the amount of space that a pattern fills.  If you look at mini below, you can see that there are four different quilting patterns.  The center has echoed curves.  Then the next round has a variation on bubbles and my light bulbs pattern.  The the outside has echoed curved lines.  You can see how much less dense those outer triangles are. 


Look at the light bulb quilting right next to those loose wavy lines....one is totally flattening the fabric and the other has lots of space.  They are very high contrast which works for my mini.  I don't normally do light bulbs so dense and after this quilt I definitely won't do it again this small!  You can't even tell what they are, so what's the point?


Here is the bubble filler.  It works for such a small space.


And here's a closeup of the curves.  This photo is actually larger than in real life.  Not bad for no marking!


Density is something I think about when planning a quilting design.  Less dense areas tend to show up more when the rest of the quilt is quilted densely which is what I tend to do.



I hope you get to quilt today!
Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment